Wednesday, 6 April 2016

A soldier`s story #1

     It was 2 years ago, when my grandfather passed away. Just recently, I had time to go through all his stuff, including one old, hand-written book, which as it turned out was a diary of my grand-grandfather from the first world war. I`d like to share his experience on next few pages. In my opinion, it`s something worth sharing with the world. It`s testimonies like these which remind us what war really feels like and what`s it like to live through it. Notes are written in older language, sometimes barely readable. But that`s understandeable, if you take into consideration that this book almost 100 years old.

This is all I managed to save from my grandpa`s old photo. The rest was eaten by bugs (yuuck!)

     I`m going to translate first few pages in this post, hoping to keep my translation to English as authentic as possible. I can only hope some of you will find these memories fascinating and worth reading.

...................................................................................................................................................................

A Suffering Soldier`s notes during the first world war

     During the Austria-Hungary reign, when this lad was 20 years old, and was capable, he got recruited to a military. What this poor boy had to suffer through during those 3 years, especially if he was a Slovak I`m not going to even describe. Because forever and ever they called a Slovak "butatoth", that is: "a stupid Slovak". So when I was at the age of 20, I was a well-grown lad to be a soldier. They recruited me in 1910, on 6th of September.
     
     This meant that in 24 days I had to leave from everything I held so dear, so I could join a military service on 1st of October 1910. I was to join others in Komarno as a member of infantry regiment, in an old fortress. There, I was in service for 18 months. After that we were transferred to Bosna, to the city called Sarajevo. So I spent the rest of my military service. I freed myself only in 1913, on 28th of November. Of course, we didn`t receive our military paybooks then, so we had to stay in service for 3 more months.  We received just some letter, which stated that "Baladság bizany talon időre" (retired until further notice). So after this "retirement" we were not to expect better times, but only worse and toughter. A war-like times. 

     I went home as a soldier, coming from such a foreign country, country of Bosna. I was happy that I had been released at least for a while from those unhappy military conditions. I received my military paybook on 23rd of June 1914, right about that time when a heir to the throne, Franz Ferdinand was murdered. After the death of Franz Ferdinand, there were rumours spread about an upcoming war. And indeed, these news really were a reason for the start of a world war- the news of death of heir to the throne.

First Page 

Second page

...................................................................................................................................................................

     The rest of this story is pretty detailed, including fights, training and travelling with other soldiers. If there is anybody who understands old Slovak language better than I do and speaks proper English, please raise your hand, since it`s very difficult to translate this text.
     Let me know if you`d like more. I will make a stand-alone page for this project on my blog and hope this will keep things separate from all the other stuff I usually blog about.
About Sidney Aldaine

My name is Sidney Aldaine. And this is the start of my ultimate project, my Fantasma. My way of helping people to make them feel better. My way of contributing something of a value to the world we all live in. Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy my little corner of the web. Place, where I left a piece of my soul and dreams. A Fantastic place. I would love to call myself a blogger and a writer some day. And I`m not going to give up this dream, at least not until my Fantasma comes into reality.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.